There’s no official way to download YouTube videos on Mac unless you’re willing to pay for YouTube Premium. But there are some unofficial ways to do it.
Videos are a fantastic source of entertainment when you have an internet connection, so it’s not bad to download some YouTube videos on your device to watch it at any time without connection.
How to Download YouTube Videos on Mac?
There are three main methods to get any YouTube video on your Mac device, Use the built-in Mac screen recording feature, a third-party app, and a third-party downloading website.
Every method has some advantages and disadvantages, let’s see each one separately.
Built-in Mac screen recording feature:
Using the built-in Mac screen recording feature is the easiest method, but it doesn’t record sound.
To download YouTube Videos on a Mac Using the Screen Recorder:
- Navigate to a YouTube video that you want to download using the web browser of your choice.
- Press Shift + Command + 5 to bring up the screen recording interface.
Resize the selection to fit the web player, and click Record.
- When the video finishes, click the stop recording icon (square inside a circle) located at the top of the screen on the menu bar.
- Your video will be available in your Documents folder.
Third-party apps are a good choice and perfect, but Some of these apps are a little suspect, so just use a trusted one.
There are many third-party apps that can download videos from YouTube, but you need to use a trusted app like Parallels Toolbox.
Parallels has been around a long time, so you don’t have to worry about accidentally installing malicious software on your Mac. The catch is that Parallels isn’t free, but it does have a free trial to check it out.
Here’s how to download YouTube videos on Mac using Parallels Toolbox:
- Launch Parallels Toolbox, and click Download Video.
- If prompted to install the Safari extension, click Cancel. You can always install it later if you like.
- Locate the YouTube video that you want to download.
- Select the YouTube Video URL, and drag it to the Parallels window.
- Click Download or Download Selected.
- Parallels Toolbox will download your video or videos.
Third-party downloading website:
This method is easy and super-fast, but it’s potentially dangerous. Third-party downloading websites may hurt your device, so never visit a third-party downloading website without installing a strong ad blocker and antivirus software.
- One of the trusted third-party downloading websites is the Y2Mate web converter.
- Locate the YouTube video you want to download.
- Alter the URL of the video by inserting “pp” immediately before “.com” so that it looks like youtubepp.com/watch?v=xyz, and hit enter.
- Wait for the website to load, and then click Download.
- Click Save.