“cURL error 28: Connection timed out” is one of the frustrating Website errors that’s not related to any theme or plugin or the WordPress itself, But basically related to the server. In this article, we will help you to fix cURL error 28 in few steps.
This error happens when a timeout occurs while performing a curl request on the website. But, it becomes tricky to find the exact reason for the timeout.
Actually there are many possible reasons that can cause this error, let’s see what are the reasons of “cURL error 28: Connection timed out”:
- Network/Firewall settings.
- DNS resolution failures.
- Server limits: “Curl error: 28 “ can happen due to limits set in the various services.
- The other server settings that affect cURL issue include memory limit, timeout settings in PHP, WordPress timeout settings, etc. too.
- Security modules: server security modules like Mod_Security could also block the outgoing cURL requests.
How to fix cURL error 28 in WordPress?
As we mentioned, this is not a theme or plugin or the WordPress related error, it’s the server problem, so to solve this problem you need to contact your hosting company.
But before contacting your hosting company, you can check if your WordPress is updated to the latest version or not. If not, update it and check the error.
Then if the problem is still there, contact your hosting company and ask the hosting support team to check the following points:
- Make sure your server is running a recent version of PHP and the cURL library.
- Try to increase your Server Memory Limits settings.
- The cURL error can be a DNS related issue. Your hosting company might need to switch DNS configuration to Open DNS.
- Ask your host if there is some limitation with wp-cron, or if loopback is disabled.
- Ask your host if there a firewall or security modules (e.g. mod_security ) that could block the outgoing cURL requests.
besides the above steps, you can also install the Query Monitor plugin to check the status of the HTTP API Calls in the admin page where the error is displayed.