Host Access Control is one of the best features in WHM, that allow you to control access to your server, with this tool You can easily allow or deny clients’ access. So let’s learn how to control your server with Host Access Control in WHM?
Before talking about Host Access Control let’s take a look at WHM, what’s it means and how it work?
WHM is a shortcut for Web Host Manager, it’s a tool that allows administrative access to the back end of cPanel. With WHM you can create a cPanel account to avail hosting accounts and easily manage many sites trough it.
And there’s a big difference between cPanel and WHM, simply WHM is a Reseller control panel. It is used by resellers to manage all the hosting accounts of their reseller plans. But cPanel is the control panel used by the end-users under a reseller of hosting provider. It is used by customers to manage their own hosting accounts.
And now let’s back to with Host Access Control. As we cleared above you can allow or deny clients’ access with Host Access Control, and this order based on clients’ IP addresses.
You can allow or deny clients’ access to the following services:
- Daemon Name Service Name
- Cpaneld cPanel
- whostmgrd WHM
- webmaild Webmail
- cpdavd WebDisk
- ftpd FTP
- sshd SSH
- smtp SMTP
- pop3 POP3 (Courier or Dovecot)
- imap IMAP service (Courier or Dovecot)
How to control your server with Host Access Control in WHM ?
- Login to WHM.
- Click on “Host Access Control” under “Security Center” section.
- On the next screen, you can inter the rules of access. It’s divided into 3 parts, the first one to specify which service that you want to set and the next field is “Access list”, that means the IP address that you want to set the rule and then “Action” field which allows you to grant the action.
- After onputing the rules click “Save Host Access List” button to save the changes.