If you wonder, yes you can easily record screen on Windows 10 with no need for third-party programs to do that.
There are many built-in programs that allow you to capture a screen video for your desktop or laptop and save it. You can use the Windows Game bar or even PowerPoint.
Let’s see how it works…
How to Record Screen on Windows 10?
First: Game bar
You can easily record your screen on Windows 10 by the Game bar but first, you need to enable it.
How to enable Game bar?
- Search for Game Bar in the Windows search box.
- From the results that appear, select Game bar shortcuts.
- In the Game bar dialog box, make sure the slider for Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using the Game bar is set to the On position.
Now, the Game bar is enabled and you can use it to capture screen video.
Note: there are a few caveats with Game bar:
- Some applications, such as File Manager, cannot be captured with the Game bar.
- You cannot capture your desktop; you must be capturing an app.
- If while you’re capturing another window appears over the one you are capturing, you will not capture that window in your video (but you will capture the movement of your cursor).
Record screen with Game bar:
- Open the app or program you want to record and then press Windows + G on your keyboard to open the Game bar overlay.
- In the Gamebar overlay, you’ll see several widgets, including Capture, Audio, Performance, and maybe Xbox Social.
- To capture your screen, click the Record button in the Capture widget.
- Once the recording starts, a recorder appears in the upper right corner of the page.
- When you’re finished, press the Stop button and a message appears that you created a recording.
- To access the record, you can click this message or navigate to the recording in your Videos file.
PowerPoint can be a better choice if you want to capture your desktop or capture multiple windows.
- Open a new presentation in Powerpoint and go to Insert > Screen Recording.
- The PowerPoint presentation will minimize, and your desktop will be displayed.
The program gives you many options:
- You can select the area you want to record, click Select Area and drag your cursor around the area you want to record.
- You can click Audio to turn the audio on or off.
- You can also choose to capture (or not) the pointer as you move around the screen.
- After editing these settings, click Record to start screen record.
- A short countdown will appear and then your recording will be live.
- The control panel for your recording may also disappear. If you push your cursor into the top, middle of the screen, the control box will appear again.
- Once you stop the recording, you’ll be taken back to PowerPoint and the recording will be inserted into the slide you selected.
- To save it to your computer, right-click the recording and select Save Media as and choose where you want to save the file and then click Save.