Updating WordPress is important to keep your site safe and fast, and updating themes & plugins is important too. So, let’s know How to upgrade WordPress themes & plugins manually.
How to upgrade WordPress themes & plugins manually?
Upgrading WordPress themes manually:
Before starting you need to create a backup of your WordPress site.
- Now, Download a ZIP file of the theme you plan to upgrade.
- extract the theme files onto your device.
- Use sFTP to delete your existing theme directory from the wp-content/themes/ directory.
- Replace the deleted directory by uploading the unzipped theme into your wp-content/themes/ directory. You should now have a structure that looks something like wp-content/themes/theme-name/
- Sign in to your WordPress site. Go to Appearance > Themes and verify you are running the newest version of your theme.
And now we are done.
Note: if you are running a customized theme, you can’t use this method uplines. If you did ou will lose any customizations if you simply overwrite your theme with a new one.
Instead, you will need to work with a developer to integrate your customizations into your new WordPress theme instead of just overwriting the old theme.
Upgrading WordPress plugins manually:
As we did before upgrading WordPress themes, back-up your WordPress site before Upgrading WordPress plugins.
- Download a ZIP file of the plugin you need to upgrade.
- You can usually find most plugins on the plugin repository along with a link to download the newest ZIP file.
- extract the plugin files onto your device.
- Use sFTP to delete the existing plugin directory from the wp-content/plugins/ directory on your site.
- Replace the deleted directory by uploading the unzipped plugin to the wp-content/plugins/ directory leaving it in a directory that looks like (for example) wp-content/plugins/plugin-name
- Sign in to your WordPress site. Go to the ‘Plugins’ menu and verify that the plugin you upgraded is the newest version.
now, you have Upgraded WordPress themes & plugins.